Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Frankenstein: City of Night

I used to read a lot of Dean Koontz books, then he just got...weird. And totally unbelievable. And quite predictable. So I quit reading him. I figured there were plenty of other authors I hadn't "met" yet, and proceeded on my merry way.

Twenty years later my mother-in-law, of all people, queried me as to whether I'd read any of the Odd Thomas books by Dean Koontz. She described the main character in a way that made him sound like someone I could spend 300 pages with, but I couldn't let her know because we don't get along so my best bet was to just roll my eyes at her and tell her I'd moved past the Dean Koontz stage of my life. Of course she piqued my interest, so I secretly set out to spend the day in my favorite Books-A-Million with my BFF Jodi.

There may have been an Odd Thomas book, but not the first in the series so I had to put a temporary halt on that train of thought but I found Frankenstein instead. City of Night is the second in the Frankenstein series, which is set in New Orleans in present time. It's a new twist on an old tale, and yes, I have to admit I DID read the first in the series also. It's not quite Odd Thomas, but Odd will just have to have a post of his own. Probably my next post...

No comments:

Post a Comment