Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Beatrix Potter?

One rainy afternoon the BFF and I were wandering aimlessly through our favorite used book store, looking for nothing in particular, and talking between ourselves. The shopkeeper was listening in, and trying to give suggestions on books/authors that would be new to us. She seemed very intent on Susan Wittig Albert and The Tale of Hill Top Farm (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix P). We make the purchase, and off we go. It was decided that I should be the guinnea pig and, therefore, the first to read the book.

While I found it 'cute', it was certainly not a nail-biting page-turner. I would imagine it would be difficult to evoke that type of response from a story set at the turn of the century (the LAST one, not this past one) in a small English village where the local animals help solve mysteries. The very fact that the animals spoke to each other was enough to turn the BFF off of ever reading this series. Although I did finish this first book, I cannot see myself finishing the series unless all other authors cease writing and I'm left with no choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment